How to Become a REALTOR®
Are you ready to launch your career in real estate? The following provides an overview of the requirements for obtaining a real estate salesperson’s license in Virginia:
Requirements for Obtaining a Virginia Real Estate Salesperson’s License
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have, at a minimum a high school diploma or its equivalent
- If licensed in another jurisdiction, be in good standing in every jurisdiction where licensed
- Have a good reputation for honesty, truthfulness and fair dealing and be competent to transact real estate business in such a manner as to safeguard the public interest.
- Not have been found guilty of violation the fair housing laws of Virginia or any other jurisdiction
- Meet the current education requirements by achieving a passing grade in all required courses before sitting for the licensing exam and applying for licensure (Currently a 60 classroom hour course in the Principles and Practices of Real Estate)
- Pass a written license examination approved by the Virginia Real Estate Board (VREB) with 12 months prior to applying for a license and follow all rules established by the VREB or the testing service regarding the conduct of license applicants. (Currently PSI Examinations is the state approved testing service)
- Be in good standing and not have had a real estate license suspended, revoked, or surrendered in connection with a disciplinary action, of been the subject o disciplinary action in any jurisdiction
- Not have been convicted in any jurisdiction for a misdemeanor involving moral turpitude, sexual offense drug distribution physical injury or any felony
- Follow all rules established by the REB with regard to conduct at the examination
- Submit a set of fingerprints to the Virginia Central Criminal Records Exchange and have a criminal background check performed. (Can be done at the PSI testing center on a walk-on basis)
Required Principles and Practices of Real Estate: On-site Course
The Dulles Area Association of REALTORS® Real Estate School is pleased to offer the required 60-hour Principles and Practices of Real Estate course that fulfills the educational requirement for initial licensure as a real estate sales person in Virginia. The course offers a unique educational experience for the real estate sales associate licensing candidate and goes beyond basic requirements to help prepare students for a career in real estate. Taught by Allan Marteney, a 30-year veteran in the real estate industry and one of the area’s top instructors, the course covers brokerage, agency, property rights, interests in real estate, forms of ownership, legal descriptions, liens, contracts, title, financing principles, appraisals, fair housing laws, environmental issues and closings.
To find out more information about our upcoming offerings, call 703/777-2468 or email email@example.com.
On-Line Pre-License Offerings
DAAR offers the 60-hour Principles of Real Estate, Math Master and Virginia Exam Prep pre-license courses on-line via Computaught. Click the button below for more information and read our statement of policy.