Loudoun County Begins the Fiscal Year 2019 Budget Process
On February 14, 2018, Loudoun County Administrator Tim Hemstreet presented a proposed budget for Fiscal Year 2019 (FY 2019) to the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors. The budget totals $2.3 billion in appropriations for the Loudoun County government and public schools. FY 2019 begins July 1, 2018.
The proposed budget is based on the equalized real property tax rate of $1.09, which is 3.5 cents lower than the current tax rate of $1.125. Hemstreet also provided two additional tax rate options for consideration, including an option at one cent higher than the equalized rate, $1.10, and an option at one cent lower than the equalized rate, $1.08.
The FY 2019 proposed budget also includes $12.0 million in local gasoline tax funding for Loudoun County’s operating start-up payment to the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority in preparation for the beginning of Silver Line service.
The Board of Supervisors will determine the final real property tax rate and related budget policy decisions during March budget work sessions, with adoption of the FY 2019 budget expected on April 3, 2018. The FY 2019 proposed budget, Hemstreet’s presentation, and other budget information is available at https://www.loudoun.gov/budget.
There are several ways for you to participate in the budget process.
The Board will hold three public hearings:
- Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 6:00 p.m., Board Room, Loudoun County Government Center, 1 Harrison Street, S.E., Leesburg.
- Thursday, March 1, 2018, 3:00 p.m., Board Room, Loudoun County Government Center, 1 Harrison Street, S.E., Leesburg.
- Saturday, March 3, 2018, 9:00 a.m., Loudoun County Public Schools Administration Building, 21000 Education Court, Ashburn.
Anyone who wishes to speak at the public hearings may sign up in advance for one speaking slot, beginning Thursday, February 15, by calling 703-777-0204.
Members of the public may also:
- Leave a message on the Board of Supervisors’ Comment Line at 703-777-0115.
- Send an email or write to the Board of Supervisors, P.O. Box 7000, Leesburg, VA 20177.
- Provide comments through the Loudoun County government’s Facebook and Twitter sites.
Budget Work Sessions
The Board of Supervisors has scheduled budget work sessions for:
- Monday, March 5, 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, March 8, 6:00 p.m.
- Monday, March 12, 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, March 15, 6:00 p.m.
- Monday, March 19, 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 21, 6:00 p.m.
If- Needed Budget Work Sessions
- Saturday, March 10, 9:00 a.m.
- Saturday, March 17, 9:00 a.m.
- Saturday, March 24, 9:00 a.m.
Questions: Contact Brenda Morton, Government Affairs and Communications Manager, at (703) 777-2468 or email@example.com.