Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
The Dulles Area Association of REALTORS® is committed to providing equal, professional service without regard to the race, color, religion, gender (sex), disability (handicap), familial status, national origin, sexual orientation, or gender identity of any prospective member, customer, or of the residents of any community. DAAR works to create more robust fair housing and diversity courses to educate members on the benefits of fair housing and to remove unconscious-biases. DAAR provides fair housing collateral to all members as informational tools for their peers and clients. DAAR stands strong in the opposition of discrimination and supports equal opportunity housing.
Diversity & Housing Initiatives (DHI) Committee
Established in 2021, DAAR’s Diversity & Housing Initiatives (DHI) committee leads the association’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) efforts and is committed to advancing housing opportunities for underrepresented populations and markets throughout the Northern Virginia region. DAAR’s DHI Committee is made up of members, affiliates, and multicultural organization liaisons. The committee members are passionate about advancing DEI and housing initiatives in the community and want to solidify DAAR’s position as an inclusive and welcoming REALTOR® association.
DHI Committee Mission Statement:
The DHI Committee is committed to advancing DEI within the real estate profession and the housing industry by:
- Building meaningful and lasting partnerships with peer/multicultural associations.
- Hosting and/or sponsoring activities dedicated to DEI and homeownership opportunities for all.
- Bringing in speakers from non-profits and various levels of government to educate members/agents on programs designed to assist underrepresented communities in the homebuying process.
- Supporting state and local legislation that will strengthen homeownership opportunities and combat discrimination.
- Encouraging and promoting diverse leadership in the real estate industry through an Association-established scholarship fund.
- Utilizing NAR Housing Opportunity Grants to fund activities that create or improve systems, programs, and policies that expand access to affordable housing. The goal of the program is to position REALTORS® as leaders in improving their communities by creating affordable housing opportunities.
- Working towards providing opportunities for people of all backgrounds to gain professional experience within the real estate industry.
Fair housing is more than a list of dos and don’ts, rights and penalties, and mandatory continuing education. As stewards of the right to own, use and transfer private property, fair housing protects our livelihood and business as REALTORS® and depends on a free, open market that embraces equal opportunity.
DAAR staff and members uphold NAR’s Fair Housing Declaration, laws, and our commitment to offering equal, professional services. We believe that fairness is worth fighting for, and we won’t stop until the fight is won. Because that’s who we are.
DAAR is proud to partner with and support several diversity groups in Northern Virginia and beyond. For more information on these, click each link below.
National Association of REALTORS® Resources
NAR’s DEI Commitment Statement
The National Association of REALTORS® represents more than 1.5 million REALTORS® in diverse communities across the country. NAR staff fosters a culture where diversity and inclusion are integrated into each of our five core values. Through inclusive collaboration and mutual respect for our colleagues, we focus on the principles that matter to the organization and drive how we engage each other to reach our common goals. We fully embrace perspectives from all walks of life—regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, national origin, socioeconomic status, political affiliation or any other qualities by which we may define ourselves. We commit to bringing out the best in ourselves, uncovering our hidden talents, and celebrating differences in our day-to-day interactions. These beliefs are essential as we serve our members who help fulfill the dream of home and property ownership in America.
Additional NAR Resources:
- 2022 Code of Ethics & Standards of Practice
- Diversity Landing Page
- DEI Resources
- Fairhaven Training
- “Bias Override: Overcoming Barriers to Fair Housing” Video
- At Home With Diversity Certification
Virginia REALTORS® Resources
VAR’s DEI Commitment Statement
Virginia REALTORS® is committed to being a diverse, equitable, and inclusive association. The National Association of REALTORS®, state associations, and local associations are committed to creating pathways to better reach and serve underrepresented populations and markets. In Virginia, we are doing the same, and it is our goal to be the industry leader in this space. Virginia REALTORS® wants everyone—from our members, to consumers, to industry partners—to recognize us as a diverse and welcoming organization. We want to make sure that with our efforts, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are permanently woven throughout the fabric of our association!
Additional VAR Resources: