Running for Office
Are you a REALTOR® interested in running for public office or just curious about the process? Are you ready to elevate your voice as a REALTOR® Champion? If you answered yes to any of these questions, this page is for you!
NAR’s Candidate Training Academy
The Candidate Training Academy gives REALTORS®, REALTOR®-friendly candidates and potential candidates an introduction to and expectation of how to run for public office. It is a valuable head start in their political journey and information on how to run successful campaigns.
Goals and Learning Outcomes
- Upon completion of this training session, participants will be able to:
- Assess whether they possess the basic traits necessary to run for office.
- State (in 30 seconds) why they are running for office.
- Describe the elements necessary for developing a campaign plan and begin the planning process.
- Discuss their research needs based on their target audience and their budget estimates.
- Based on their individual campaign’s strengths, plan for the fundraising methods that can prove most effective and lucrative.
- Determine the best methods for contacting their constituents, based on voter demographics and budget.
- Analyze the electronic campaign options available and determine which, if any, will prove most effective for their outreach.
- Assess the multiple avenues to approach a get-out-the-vote plan and determine which elements would be useful to their campaign planning.
For additional information, please visit NAR’s webpage.
Online Candidate Training Academy
The Online Candidate Training Academy is a free interactive five-hour course that includes quizzes, exercises, and videos from REALTORS® who have run for and been elected to local office, and is divided into 5 modules that can be completed at your own pace:
- What it Takes to Run for Office
- Writing a Winning Campaign Plan
- Developing Your Message or Story
- Raising the Money Necessary to Get Your Message Out
- Tactics for Communicating Your Message to Voters
Completion of this course will also make you eligible to attend an in-person regional candidate workshop led by NAR staff and consultants for state and local candidates. You will also be able to purchase a list of likely voters that is customized to your race.
- DAAR Advocacy Resources & Positions
- DAAR Government Affairs & Advocacy
- DAAR’s Government Affairs Committee
- Elected Offices
- REALTOR® Party
- REALTOR® Political Action Committee (RPAC)
DAAR Staff Contact:
|Sophia de la Torre|
Government Affairs Director