Here’s Your Chance to Weigh in on the Loudoun County Fiscal Year 2020 Budget
County Administrator Tim Hemstreet presented a Fiscal Year 2020 (FY 2020) proposed budget for Loudoun County to the Board of Supervisors on February 13, 2019. The budget totals $3.2 billion in appropriations for the county government and Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS). FY 2020 begins July 1, 2019.
The proposed budget is based on the Board of Supervisors’ guidance to prepare a budget at the equalized real property tax rate, the rate at which the average homeowner’s tax bill remains the same year over year. Based on the final assessment portfolio from the Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue, the equalized tax rate is $1.045, which is 4 cents lower than the current tax rate of $1.085.
The Board of Supervisors is expected to adopt the FY 2020 Budget on April 2, 2019.
There are several ways in which members of the public may participate in the budget process, including Board of Supervisors public hearings, email, voice messages and social media. The Board will hold three public hearings on the proposed FY 2020 budget.
The hearings are scheduled for:
- Wednesday, February 27, 2019, 3:00 p.m., Board Room, Loudoun County Government Center, 1 Harrison Street, S.E., Leesburg.
- Wednesday, February 27, 2019, 6:00 p.m., Board Room, Loudoun County Government Center, 1 Harrison Street, S.E., Leesburg.
- Saturday, March 2, 2019, 9:00 a.m., Loudoun County Public Schools Administration Building, 21000 Education Court, Ashburn.
Anyone who wishes to speak at the public hearings may sign up in advance for one speaking slot, beginning Thursday, February 14, 2019, by calling 703-777-0204.
FY 2020 Budget Work Sessions
The Board of Supervisors will hold work sessions on the FY 2020 budget in March.
- Monday, March 4, 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, March 7, 6:00 p.m.
- Monday, March 11, 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, March 14, 6:00 p.m.
- Monday, March 18, 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 20, 6:00 p.m.
Capital Improvement Program (CIP) Meetings
The Board’s Finance/Government Operations and Economic Development Committee will hold special meetings on the CIP.
- Wednesday, February 20, 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 6, 6:00 p.m.
For More Information
More information, including the FY 2020 proposed budget, the County Administrator’s FY 2020 budget presentation, the schedule for Board of Supervisors budget work sessions and the Board’s Finance/Government Operations and Economic Development Committee’s Capital Improvement Program work sessions, is posted on the Loudoun County website at www.loudoun.gov/budget.