It’s Official: Virginia’s National Capital Region Will Be Home to Amazon’s 25,000 New Employees
Following Amazon’s announcement that Arlington, VA will split duties with New York City to house their second headquarters, Virginia REALTORS®, including members of DAAR, are preparing to begin working with state and local policy makers to ensure the housing needs of Amazon’s future employees—estimated at more than 25,000—will be met.
“We are very excited to welcome Amazon to Virginia. These types of moves can be transformative for the Commonwealth and her localities, and we look forward to working with state and local lawmakers to help provide insight and resources to assist in this exciting transformation,” says Virginia REALTORS® 2018 President Jay Mitchell.
Hiring will begin in the coming year, so housing will be in immediate demand. Lisa Sturtevant, Chief Economist for Virginia REALTORS® says, “With more than 25,000 workers added to the Virginia economy, there will be significant demand for housing in the greater national capital and outlying regions. It is important for the public and private sectors to work together to ensure there is an adequate supply of available and affordable housing for both new workers and existing residents.”
As the state’s largest professional trade association, Virginia REALTORS® is also preparing to offer insight and analysis on this type of economic impact. Said Beckwith Bolle, incoming 2019 President of Virginia REALTORS®, and 2013 President of DAAR, “This is an exciting announcement for REALTORS® in and around Northern and North Central Virginia,” she says. “Our association will work with policy makers to help support economic growth and vibrant communities.”
Courtesy of Virginia REALTORS
For more insight visit:
- Fox 5 DC: Amazon HQ2 Housing Boom to NOVA
- Inside Nova: Amazon HQ2 Impact on NOVA Housing Market
- Amazon’s HQ2 will bring 25,000 jobs each to New York City and Northern Virginia: USA Today
- Region Lands Amazon’s HQ2; Virginia to Ramp Up Tech Training: Loudoun Now
- It’s official: Amazon splits prize between Crystal City and New York: Washington Post
- Amazon ‘HQ2’ coming to Northern Virginia: Economic Impact Will Be Felt Throughout Washington Region: Loudoun County Department of Economic Development
- What Does Amazon’s HQ2 Mean for the Washignton Region’s Housing Market? Stephen Fuller Institute