BOS Adopts ROIA for Zoning Ordinance
On November 16, 2021, the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors (BOS) adopted a Resolution of Intent to Amend (ROIA) for the Revised 1993 Zoning Ordinance. According to the county’s press release, the ROIA is a necessary step in the revision process.
The County’s press release also delineates key goals for the rewrite project, which include:
- Implementation of the Loudoun County 2019 Comprehensive Plan vision, including the Urban Policy Area, which involves new place types with densities, standards, building forms and infrastructure that have yet to be realized in Loudoun County.
- Modernization: revising land uses and definitions to reflect the current marketplace, reevaluating parking ratios and calculations, updating lot and building standards, and aligning how the county administers planned unit developments with modern practice.
- Consistency audit: analyzing existing standards and striving for consistency within the document and across zoning districts when feasible.
- Structure and flow: improving the document structure, making it user-friendly and clear.
- Opportunities and challenges: evaluating input from stakeholders about the current Zoning Ordinance and making improvements where appropriate.
- Legislation: incorporating changes based on new or revised provisions of the Code of Virginia, court cases and best management practices promoted by the Virginia Association of Zoning Officials, Urban Land Institute and American Planning Association.
Additionally, the Department of Planning and Zoning and the Zoning Ordinance Committee (ZOC) have already discussed potential new and revised land uses, definitions and performance standards, and improvements to parking regulations among other changes. Issue areas with changes that have not yet been addressed include attainable housing, lot and building standards, signs, landscaping and zoning processes and procedures.
The rewrite project, which began in September of 2019, is expected to wrap up at the end of 2022. From here, the next steps include the following:
- Review and recommendations by the Planning Commission;
- General public “open house” for review and comment;
- 90-day public review period for the first draft; and eventually,
- BOS adoption.
To review the BOS’ Action Report on the Resolution of Intent to Amend for the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite (ZOAM-2020-0001) from the November 16, 2021 Business Meeting, click here.
To view the county staff’s presentation, click here.
For more information on the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite, please click here.
For the County’s November 19, 2021 press release, click here.
For questions, reach out to DAAR’s Government Affairs Director.
November 22, 2021