Safety Tips for Showing Properties During COVID-19
Please be advised to take these precautions to help keep yourself, your clients, and others safe from Coronavirus as Virginia begins to slowly reopen its economy. Please be sure to refer to state and local orders that govern conduct and may vary based on conditions in your specific area. DAAR is a part of the Loudoun Is Ready campaign. For a full list of Loudoun County guidelines, click here!
If you are able, we still recommend holding virtual tours and open houses. Bright MLS has a few resources, like a virtual toolkit, that may come in handy when showing properties virtually. Click here to learn more!
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and federal and state surgeon generals, REALTORS must protect themselves and customers from exposure to or contraction of COVID-19. Realtors are advised to follow the recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Limit showings to one small group at a time to minimize contact, and schedule showings to allow time for needed cleaning of touched surfaces between showings
- For vacant properties, discuss with the owner the plan for proper cleaning
- Consider whether a professional cleaning service should be used or whether virtual showings are best
- Advise buyers or tenants in advance that they need to bring and will be required to wear gloves and face coverings
- Give your client a virtual tour of the property to minimize the time spent at the property during a physical visit
- Wipe down all surfaces before a buyer or tenant is granted access
- Disinfect surfaces with the appropriate cleaning solutions before your client arrives
- Frequently touched surfaces should be cleaned and disinfected. This includes tables, doorknobs, light switches, counter tops, handles, desks, keyboards, toilets, faucets and sinks
- Limit the number of people viewing the property to only those necessary
- Refrain from touching items unless necessary
- Be efficient in minimizing the time physically at the property
- Practice social distancing
- Stay 6 feet away from others. Avoid physical contacts such as hugs, handshakes, large gatherings and proximity
- Cover your mouth and nose with a mask and avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth
- Wear disposable gloves whenever possible
- Wash your hands with disinfectant soap often and for at least 20 seconds each time
- Show a property if you do not feel well or if a client/owners does not feel well
- Conduct open houses, unless they are virtual
- Canvas neighborhoods in person (knock on doors, deliver door hangers, etc.)
Click here to download a printable version.